Welcome to the website of Cropwell Bishop Parish Council
Cropwell Bishop is a rural civil parish area located in the borough of Rushcliffe in Nottinghamshire. It is 1.2 miles to the east of the A46 in the NG12 postcode and the Grantham Canal runs along the edge of the village. The next village to the north is Cropwell Butler, both villages form part of the Vale of Belvoir.
At the start of the 20th century Cropwell Bishop consisted of approximately 200 houses and small business premises. As we start the 21st Century Cropwell Bishop now has 726 households with 1461 voters.
During the 20th century the employment came from agriculture and gypsum working with a number of small ancillary businesses. As the village moved into the 21st century the old gypsum works site beside the Nottingham to Grantham Canal is now home to a small business park hosting 13 of diverse business ventures from a large bus company through to a specialist cheese maker. Cropwell Bishop’s other major employer is Cropwell Bishop Creamery one of a select six creameries that produce Stilton Cheese which is sold worldwide.
The parish school is Cropwell Bishop Primary School which feeds into the nearby secondary school – Toothill Academy, the school also offers a wrap around care service for under 4’s. Cropwell Bishop also hosts an alternate provision for under 4’s in the village in Cropwell Bishop Playgroup.
The Parish hosts two churches – St. Giles C of E built in 1215 and Cropwell Bishop Methodist Church which opened in 1842. The Memorial Hall and playing fields which is to the west of the village opened in 1932 and hosts many of the village events; following negotiations between the Parish Council and the Memorial Hall in 2006 a 25 year lease was taken out on the Playing Field which is now equipped with the latest facilities for all age groups.
The village has many local businesses – including a food store with Post Office counter, sandwich shop, newsagents, butchers, hairdressers, beauty treatments, three public houses, and bed and breakfast accommodation.
The Old School in the village was purchased by the Parish Council in 2007, and within the building is home to the Parish Council Clerk office. The Old School was extended in 2012 and is host to many village entertainment evenings and events. Please visit the Old School section of the website for details of all the entertainment & social events provided in the village and to check availability for corporate and private bookings.